SUGGESTED TEST PROCEDURE FOR ULTRASONIC DISAGGREGATION OF CLAY FORMING MATERIAL--GRAIN SIZE DISTRIBUTION
The procedure is applicable to clay forming materials such as hardened clay soils, hard pan, and shales. It presents a method of preparing a sample of the material so that the grain size distribution can be determined under the most critical conditions. The equipment consists of an ultrasonic cleaning system, two 1000 ml. stainless steel beakers, two stirrers, 1/2 gpm. reciprocating pump, 1000 ml. conical flask, 12" x 8" x 3/4" plexiglass plate, rubber tubing, and 5000 ml. beakers. The preparation of sample for ultrasonic treatment is included. The six steps pertain to the sample preparation method for grain size distribution determination including hydrometer analysis. The eleven steps in the ultrasonic treatment are briefly described in this report.
- Prepared for Oklahoma Department of Highways and DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
University of Oklahoma, NormanResearch Institute
Norman, OK USA 73019
- Laquros, J G
- Publication Date: 1972-8
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Clay; Equipment; Grain size (Geology); Hydrometers; Ultrasonic tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Treatment
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00179739
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1978 12:00AM