INVESTIGATION OF THE AFFECT OF SEASONAL VARIATIONS ON ELECTRICAL HALF-CELL POTENTIAL MEASUREMENTS
A field study of electrical potential values was conducted to substantiate the findings of two previous laboratory studies. This study intended to show the effect, if any, of the moisture content of a concrete bridge deck on electrical potential values. The effect of other variables, such as temperature, humidity, time of day, and time of year, were also investigated. Field measurements of the moisture content of concrete using various methods were unreliable. The daily variation in electrical potential values was determined to be significant to the extent that the potential for corrosion of reinforcing steel in a concrete bridge deck should not be based on a single set of electrical potential values. However, the cause(s) of this daily variation could not be accurately determined during this study. /Author/
Madison, WI United States 53715
- Martinelli, T J
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge decks; Concrete; Corrosion; Detection and identification; Detectors; Electric potential; Humidity; Moisture content; Reinforcing steel; Seasons; Taking (Property); Temperature; Time
- Uncontrolled Terms: Seasonal variations
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00179736
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 12 1978 12:00AM