The problems related to the existence and operation of "sub-standard" tankers are investigated in this study. Following some definitions of the term "Sub-standard", criteria are developed for the identification of sub-standard tanker operations. An analysis is made to determine in which section of the tanker market sub-standard operations are to be found. The activities of existing classification societies directed towards the elimination of the detrimental effects of sub-standard tanker operations are discussed, and the Report concludes with some recommendations for improving the quality of crews and control of safety standards. Order from: BSRA as No. 48,654.
- Copies of the Report are also available from the Netherlands Maritime Institute at a price of 30 Dfl.
Netherlands Maritime InstituteHofplein 19, Postbus 1555
- Van Poelgeest, F M
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Crew size; Marine safety; Operations; Safety; Ship operations; Standards; Tankers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Classification societies; Safety standards
- Old TRIS Terms: Standards (Tanker operations); Tanker operations; Tanker safety
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00179635
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Report R 70
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 14 1978 12:00AM