EVALUATION OF ALTERNATIVES: MORGANTOWN PRT: EVALUATION MATRIX AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION
Ten alternatives for the Morgantown PRT system were evaluated. They were: operate the existing three-station, 2.2 mile system as designed; expand the system by adding one, two, or three more stations; operate the three-station system with (a) manual operation of the 45 vehicles currently in production or (b) replacement of the PRT vehicles with buses operating on a modified guideway as well as existing streets; remove the PRT and (a) operate the existing shuttle bus system, (b) make low-capital improvements to the street system, (c) include a high-capital group of roadway improvements, and (d) reduce total person-trip demand. Each alternative was evaluated on a number of criteria in six goal areas; mobility, practicality, research potential, financial aspects, environmental considerations, and development potential. The end product of the research was an unweighted goals-achievement matrix indicating the value of each alternative for each criterion measured. A method for continuing the evaluation process through the steps of weighting, normalizing, summing, and analyzing was presented. Traffic studies were undertaken and reported on. These studies were used to determine that composition of present auto users in the affected area and the potential of the PRT to devert traffic and reduce congestion. /Author/
- Sponsored by the Department of Transportation, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Barton-Aschman Associates, Incorporated820 Davis Street
Evanston, IL United States 60204
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 171 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Economics; Environmental impacts; Guideways; Mobility; Personal rapid transit; Railroad stations; Shuttle buses; Traffic congestion; Traffic surveys; Transportation; Travel demand
- Uncontrolled Terms: Traffic studies
- Subject Areas: Economics; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00179364
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-50008
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 14 1982 12:00AM