STABILITY OF OFFSHORE TOWBOATS
A review of available stability criteria, tugboat casualty data and existing U.S. tugboat designs is made to recommend stability criteria for use in the design of offshore tugboats. Casualty data for all tugboat/tugboat operations are presented, with breakdowns of offshore casualties and intact stability casualties. A discussion of the mechanisms of intact stability casualties is included. Fourteen existing tugboat designs are listed and compared according to design and stability characteristics. Specific recommendations are then made concerning design features to limit the occurrence of stability casualties and stability criteria to be used for future designs.
- Presented at the meeting of the Pacific Northwest Section of SNAME.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Storch, Rl
- Publication Date: 1972-3-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Stability (Mechanics); Stability analysis; Towboats; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Intact stability; Stability standards
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00039321
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 10 1972 12:00AM