GUIDE FOR CONTAINER CHASSIS INSPECTION
The IICL issued this Guide for Container Chassis Inspection to provide a comprehensive guide as to how to inspect container chassis, and to offer a common source of terms. A significant part of this booklet, therefore, is devoted necessarily to identifying chassis construction, equipment, and operational elements in order to convey information about a container chassis. Photographs and drawings illustrate types of chassis and their parts. Definitions of them appear in the glossary. The inspection procedures outlined concentrate on those areas which have been found to be vulnerable and require attention. Such inspections should disclose damage which must be corrected to restore the chassis to a safe and proper condition and also expose conditions of wear and normal deterioration which may or may not require correction. A colored illustration section shows examples of damage which should be corrected. The Guide makes recommendations for pre-trip and off-hire inspection and is intended to enable the inspector to determine the condition of the vehicle, usually without the use of shop tools, sophisticated instruments, or test apparatus. The Guide is divided into eleven sections: (1) General inspection comments (2) sequence of inspections (3) electrical system (4) braking system (5) running gear (6) towing and landing gear (7) framework (8) securing devices (container) (9) miscellaneous equipment (10) typical damage and wear and (11) the appendix containing nonmenclature and glossary.
Institute of International Container Lessors, Ltd12 East 41st Street, Suite 600
New York, NY United States 10017
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: 55 p.
- TRT Terms: Brakes; Chassis; Container cars; Containers; Defects; Lighting equipment; Mechanical failure; Reliability; Securing and joining equipment; Structures; Welds
- Uncontrolled Terms: Structural damage; Weld defects
- Old TRIS Terms: Braking systems; Chassis inspection; Chassis maintenance; Container securing systems; Electrical equipment failures
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00179216
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute of International Container Lessors, Ltd.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM