BALTIMORE METROPOLITAN COASTAL AREA STUDY--AN AGENDA FOR ACTION
This study was produced by the cooperative action of four jurisdictions--Harford County, Baltimore County, Baltimore City, and Anne Arundel County--along with the Regional Planning Council, the Department of Natural Resources, and several other State agencies. Their purpose in working together was to devise better means of responding to coastal-related problems. This document represents their frank estimation of what should be done within the Baltimore metropolitan coastal area to better preserve resources and control the use of land. It is not a "plan" but rather a set of recommendations on actions to be taken by the participants in coastal decision-making--citizens, local governments, regional groups, and state government. It should be viewed as the first of three steps. First, coastal problems must be described, recommended solutions put forth, and commitments made to analyze the proposed solutions. This study accomplishes these items. Second, the governments and agencies of the coastal area must endorse, implement, or reject the recommendations. Third, a follow-up report must be prepared on the fate of the recommendations and the new commitments of the study participants to coastal zone management. This document, then, can be used as a guide to the region's attempt to coordinate action, build consensus, and resolve conflict in the preservation, conservation, and use of its coastal lands and waters.
- This report is a technical study in support of Maryland's Coastal Zone Management Program and HUD 701 land use planning for the Baltimore coastal region.
Maryland Department of Natural ResourcesEnergy and Coastal Zone Administration
Annapolis, MD USA 21401
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 156 p.
- TRT Terms: Coastal zone management; Coasts; Conservation; Decision making; Development; Dredged materials; Dredging; Economic development; Environmental impact analysis; Port operations; Ports; Regional planning; Transportation planning; Waste disposal; Water conservation; Water quality management
- Uncontrolled Terms: Resource management
- Geographic Terms: Maryland
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Environment; Marine Transportation; Policy; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00179214
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maryland Department of Transportation
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 27 1978 12:00AM