RESISTANCE OF A FREIGHT TRAIN TO FORWARD MOTION-VOLUME I, METHODOLOGY AND EVALUATION
This interim report documents the results of the initial portion of an intensive investigation of the train resistance phenomenon. The history and development of prior investigations are discussed and the formulas for train resistance developed by investigators in the U.S. and abroad are analyzed with respect to their present applicability to the phenomenon. Factors contributing to the considerable discrepancies among various formulas are discussed. A methodology suitable for a quick and accurate solution of the hitherto ignored problem of the air resistance of different arrangements of the same consist is developed and utilized in determining train resistance. Preliminary estimates of reductions in train resistance and consequent fuel and cost savings resulting from possible modifications to train and track technology are given. Recommendations are made for further investigations during the remainder of this study and possible fruitful areas for new research. Two appendices explain the rationale behind the calculation of air resistance of various consist arrangements and discuss the related computer program in detail.
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C. See also FRA/ORD-78/04. II, Volume II,--Implementation and Assessment (to be published Fall 1978).
Mitre Corporation1820 Dolley Madison Boulevard
McLean, VA United States 22102
- MUHLENBERG, J D
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 149 p.
- TRT Terms: Air resistance; Computer programs; Fuel conservation; Operating costs; Railroad trains; Resistance (Mechanics); Tonnage ratings; Train makeup; Train operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Train performance calculator; Train resistance
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00179122
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/04.I Intrm Rpt., MTR-7664
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-54090
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM