USER'S MANUAL FOR ASYMMETRIC WHEEL/RAIL CONTACT CHARACTERIZATION PROGRAM
Wheel/rail geometric constraint relationships, such as the effective conicity and gravitational stiffness, strongly influence the lateral dynamics of railway vehicles. The principal curvatures of wheel and rail profiles are important parameters in the determination of creep coefficients used in rail vehicle models. In general, these geometric constraints and profile curvatures are nonlinear functions of the wheelset lateral displacement. This report is a users' manual for a computer program written in FORTRAN IV that uses iterative procedures to determine these nonlinear functions for arbitrary wheel and rail profiles. The program computes the wheel/rail contact positions, geometric constraint functions, and profile curvatures for any given wheel profile, rail profile, rail cant angle, and rail gauge for an asymmetric wheelset on asymmetric rails. Analytical methods used and program input and output are described. Results are in the form of printout, punched cards and drum plotter plots. The users' manual includes program listings, sample deck set-ups, and sample run output.
- Record URL:
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C. Prepared in cooperation with Association of American Railroads Research Center, Chicago, Illinois.
Clemson UniversityDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
Clemson, SC United States 29631
Arizona State University, TempeDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
Tempe, AZ United States 85281
- Heller, R
- Cooperrider, N K
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 98 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Creep; Rail (Railroads); Railroad cars; Rolling contact; Train track dynamics; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Candidate Terms: Rail profiles
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics; Wheel profiles
- Old TRIS Terms: Wheel creep
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00179121
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/05 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-40018
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM