SUMMARY REPORT-BALLAST AND FOUNDATION MATERIALS RESEARCH PROGRAM
This report constitutes a summary of the results of the various phases of the Ballast and Foundation Materials Research Program. Data and information obtained from the technical literature and that developed in the project are summarized. Implications of the research data and findings are discussed and recommendations for further studies are presented. Topics considered in the program were a) resilient and permanent deformation behavior of ballast and subgrade materials, b) track support system temperature regime, c) lateral stability of ballast, d) structural behaviour of the track support system (including the development of the Illi-TRACK structural model), and 3) an economic study of ballast and ballasting practices.
- Record URL:
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
205 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL United States 61801-2352
- Thompson, M R
- Hay, W W
- Tayabji, S D
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Costs; Finite element method; Frost heaving; Maintenance of way; Mathematical models; Railroad tracks; Stiffness; Subgrade (Pavements); Tests; Train track dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ballast; Track stiffness
- Old TRIS Terms: Ballast stiffness; Track response investigations; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Finance; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00179120
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/10 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30038
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM