OPTICAL AUTOMATIC CAR IDENTIFICATION VOLUME-IV--SYSTEM ALTERNATIVES EVALUATION MODEL
The report presents the development of an analytical model together with descriptions and illustration of how it can be applied in analyzing the comparative benefits and costs of using ACI to improve typical railroad operation and control management information systems (MIS). Summaries are made of background studies of how ACI has been employed by different railroads. The system implementations at these organizations were found to vary significantly. The basic measure of the overall MIS operational effectiveness is defined. Also the report identifies and discusses basic kinds of errors which can occur relating to car handling and clerical reporting. The ACI system is described and analytical (probabilistic) representations are made for characterizing the imperfect status and performance accuracies. The report provides a qualitative discussion of the considerations underlying systematic integration of pre-car movement information produced by yard level operations with actual car movement reports produced by ACI to generate updated advance consist reports with enhanced accuracy. Four appendices covering the analytical development, procedures for applying (manual or computer) the model, and illustrations of model applications, are considered an integral part of model development.
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C. This is one of four reports which provides the final reports for the FRA OACI Improvement Effort. Consistent with the four interim reports (Report No. FRA/ORD-77/38), the other final reports cover the subjects of: Scanner System Performance and Cost Improvements 78/15.I (to be published); Readability and Scanner Performance 78/15.II (March 1978); Optical Properties of Labels 78/15.II (to be published).
Kooharian (A)3800 North Fairfax Drive
Arlington, VA USA 22203
- Kooharian, A
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 99 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic car identification; Benefit cost analysis; Data collection; Information systems; Management information systems; Mathematical models; Reliability; Yard operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Yard and terminal information systems
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Finance; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00179117
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/15.IV Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-74296
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM