AN INVESTIGATION OF TECHNIQUES FOR VALIDATION OF RAILCAR DYNAMIC ANALYSES
A linear model of the vertical dynamics of a railcar was validated by the application of spectral techniques to experimental data. Track input spectra were computed from test track surface measurements gathered in the TDOP test program. Acceleration measurements of a freight car were used to compute vehicle acceleration spectra in response to the test track. The corresponding response of the linear model was computed from the analytical transfer functions and experimental track input spectra. Validation of the linear model was based upon a comparison of corresponding analytical and experimental vehicle acceleration spectra. The truck suspension was isolated and analyzed from experimental measurements of corresponding truck and car body accelerations. Spectral functions were employed to evaluate the assumptions of suspension linearity.
- Record URL:
- Prepared in cooperation with Association of American Railroads Research Center, Chicago, Illinois for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development.
Arizona State University, TempeDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
Tempe, AZ United States 85281
Clemson UniversityDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
Clemson, SC United States 29631
- Fallon, W J
- Cooperrider, N K
- Law, E H
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 105 p.
- TRT Terms: Defects; Dynamic tests; Dynamics; Freight cars; Mathematical models; Power spectra; Railroad tracks; Suspension systems; Train track dynamics; Validation; Vehicle dynamics
- Non-Preferred Terms: Power spectral density; Spectral density; Spectral energy distribution
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis; Vertical dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car dynamics; Track irregularities
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00179115
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-FRA-ORD&D-78/19 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM