USE OF COMPUTER SIMULATION FOR THE ANALYSIS OF RAILROAD OPERATIONS IN THE ST. LOUIS TERMINAL AREA
This report discusses the computer simulation methodology, its uses and limitations, and its applicability to the analysis of alternative railroad terminal restructuring plans. Included is a detailed discussion of the AAR Simulation System, an overview of twelve other railroad simulations, and an analysis of how they or other simulation systems might aid the restructuring project being conducted by the railroads in St. Louis. Included is critical analysis of what "validation" of simulation means and what it does and does not imply. Also discussed is the meaning of the terms "network" (as in network simulation) and "levels of detail." Simulation builders and rail-roaders view these terms differently, which often results in disappointment with the results of supposedly "successful" simulation ventures. The importance of user familiarity with both the simulation system and railroad problems is stressed. A major conclusion reached is that none of the existing network simulations is suitable for detailed analysis of railroad terminal areas. Development of a simulation system incorporating a new approach for performing such analysis is within the state-of-the-art and is recommended.
Bolt, Beranek and Newman, Incorporated50 Moulton Street
Cambridge, MA USA 02138
- Merriam, E W
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Classification yards; Consolidations; Freight trains; Interchanges; Lines of track; Network analysis (Planning); Operations; Planning; Railroad facilities; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Relocation (Facilities); Routing; Simulation; Traffic delays; Train operations; Urban areas; Yard operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Train delays
- Old TRIS Terms: Line relocation; Operations planning; St. louis terminal; Urban railroad relocation; Yard simulation models
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00179113
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-FRA-77-25 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-13305
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM