INTERIM REPORT, INTERMODAL MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM--PHASE II. TASK II
This report documents the results of the two major Phase II tasks: (1) a state-of-the-art survey including a literature review to determine the extent to which systems that directly support intermodal services have been developed; and (2) a review and evaluation of the functional and technical characteristics of an IMIS general design. Results from each task were synthesized to form a baseline system recommendation that concentrates on three critical areas for initial IMIS development: (1) an intermodal equipment control system; (2) an intermodal repetitive waybilling and rating system; and (3) an intermodal profit analysis system. The cost-benefit analysis of the proposed fully-operational system shows the recommended baseline system is not only feasible, but desirable, and would provide long-term cost savings. Additionally, the report addresses utilization of a data base management system (not recommended), and use of a minicomputer programmed in a high-level language (recommended). A high degree of isolation from host teleprocessing and data bases is required to develop an IMIS which can interface with a majority of existing railroad systems.
- Prepared in cooperation with R. Short, R. Holland and J. Robertson of the Norfolk and Western Railway. Final Report is available from NTIS PB-282287.
PRC Systems Sciences Company7600 Old Springhouse Road
McLean, VA United States 22101
- Peternick, J
- Fredrickson, V
- Heisey, M
- Pflugrad, A
- Rynders, B
- Rudwick, B
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 96 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Billing; Containers; Costs; Information processing; Information systems; Intermodal transportation; Inventory control; Management information systems; Minicomputers; Piggyback transportation; Profitability; Waybills; Yard operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Container inventory control; Intermodal information systems; Profitability measurement; Yard and terminal information systems
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Finance; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00179110
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OPPD-78/12 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-741-5157
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM