STATUS REPORT OF THE SECOND NATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DOMESTIC SHIPPING
In March of 1976, the Second National Conference on Domestic Shipping was held in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Conference was organized to provide a comprehensive review of productivity and its importance to the domestic shipping industry. There were two comprehensive workshop sessions. The first discussed various program elements in the six topical areas, including economic regulation, legislation and regulations, waterway system maintenance and improvements, labor and training, port and intermodal development, and marketing. The second workshop dealt with program elements in the five topical areas of capital formation and financing, operations, research and development, shipbuilding and repair, and productivity management and measurement. This report addresses itself to progress achieved to date relating to the program elements that were generated at these workshops. A total of 56 program elements were developed. The program elements being reported on are given the same number and title as in the Final Report of the Conference and the Productivity Objective is repeated verbatim to reacquaint the reader with the subject. This is then followed by a discussion relating to the progress achieved or changes in the status of the particular program element since the Conference. Each status report concludes with a suggested Marad point of contact if further information is desired.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Capital investments; Development; Domestic transportation; Economics; Improvements; Intermodal transportation; Maritime industry; Marketing; Policy; Port operations; Ports; Productivity; Regulation; Ship operations; Shipbuilding; Shipping; Training; User charges; Waterways
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Domestic shipping policies; Shipping economics; Shipping policies; Waterway improvement
- Subject Areas: Economics; Education and Training; Finance; Marine Transportation; Policy; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00178936
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM