COMPUTER-AIDED OPERATIONS RESEARCH FACILITY (CAORF)
The facility, is a part of the National Maritime Research Center in Kings Point, N.Y. CAORF is a land-based maritime research facility that realistically simulates vessel operations in port or at sea. CAORF accurately reproduces the response of a vessel to its crew's actions and its environment. It is unique in its ability to simulate a full-color marine environment and introduce controllable ship traffic into this environment. Realism is achieved by use of a full-scale bridge mock-up outfitted with contemporary bridge controls and computerized equipment which simulates, through sight and sound, a wide variety of navigational traffic situations, including full to zero visibility. The computers can be programmed to provide the ship handling characteristics of any type of vessel. They also can portray the configuration and landmarks, channel markers, wind and current effects, and tug operations, of any harbor in the world. The objectives of CAORF research are to improve ship operations and reduce collisions and groundings, and to increase the efficiency of vessels and harbors. Experiments to date have centered on analyses of the human factor in responding to high-stress navigational situations. CAORF research also evaluates proposed shipboard equipment, tests new vessel operating procedures, and studies the effect of traffic densities and harbor configurations on ship operations. No further information in the article.
Grumman Aerospace Corp.Bethpage, NY United States
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 1 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridges; Control; Harbor traffic control; Human factors engineering; Human machine systems; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Port operations; Ship operations; Ship pilotage; Ship simulators; Simulation
- Old TRIS Terms: Harbor operations; Man machine communications; Simulated bridge control; Simulated ship operation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00178901
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Grumman Aerospace Corp.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM