BETTER INTEGRATION OF TRANSPORTATION MODES
This study is made up of four interrelated components. The general intent of the project was to evaluate the deficiencies of selective elements of the New York City public transportation system and to formulate strategies that would result in improved service for the travelling public. Part I, the express bus policy study, seeks to formulate policy guidelines and implementable projects for the operation and improvement of express bus service in the city of New York, fully integrated with all other modes of public transportation. Part II, the park and ride study, seeks to develop a comprehensive Park and Ride system fully integrating the highway and artical network of New York City with the public transportation system. Part III seeks to create improved graphics and information layouts at points of modal interchange which will facilitate user understanding of transit services and travel alternatives. Part IV seeks to ascertain the potential for modal switch from automobiles to transit (primarily to reduce auto works trips and promote transit patronage) through the utilization of marketing research techniques. The project results are designed to improve the efficiency of existing services and infrastructures by operational changes and low capital intensive investments. They are consistent with federal and local emphasis on TSM policies, and result from cooperative planning between a multitude of different government agencies.
- Sponsored by Tri-State Regional Planning Commission and by DOT, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
New York City Department of TransportationBureau of Planning and Research, 40 Worth Street
New York, NY USA 10013
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 280 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Express buses; Fringe parking; Interchanges; Investments; Level of service; Marketing; Mode choice; Multimodal transportation; Public transit; Ridership; Transportation policy; Transportation system management; Urban areas
- Old TRIS Terms: Modal selection
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00178871
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-09-0023 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 3 1981 12:00AM