COMPUTERIZED SLOPE STABILITY ANALYSIS FOR INDIANA HIGHWAYS, VOLUMES I & II
This study is a continuation of a previous one by Siegel (1975) and deals with computerized slope stability analysis. All investitations are related to a computer program, STABL, which performs analyses of general slope stability problems. A parametric study was conducted on the STABL program. The study showed that variations in the soil strength parameters c and 0 have the largest influence on the stability of a slope. The STABL program was mdified to provide additional options in terms of a new sliding block surface generator, several piezometric surfaces,and the modified Bishop factor of safety for circular failure surfaces. Results of analysis performed with STABL were compared to results obtained with other methods of slope stability analysis. Results by STABL are in general conservative, but the difference is usually less than 10%. However, for deep circular failure surfaces in soil with strength defined mainly in terms of a strength intercept c, the simplified Janbu method of slices normally applied in the STABL solution may give erroneous and nonconservative results. In such cases, the modified Bishop method should be used. The modified STABL program, STABL2, is written in Fortran IV source language, developed for a CDC 6500 computer, and is also available in a form compatible with the IBM 360 (or 370) computer system. Both versions are verified.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Prepared in cooperation with Indiana State Highway Commission. Report number FHWA/IN/JHRP-77/26, "Computerized Slope Stability Analysis for Indiana Highways, Vol. II: STABL2 Program," consists of Appendices D-F.
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN USA 47907-1284
Purdue UniversityJoint Transportation Research Program, 550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN USA 47907-2051
Indiana Department of Transportation100 N Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, IN USA 46204
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Boutrup, E
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 512 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Failure; Parametric equations; Piezometers; Slope stability; Strength of materials
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00178858
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: JHRP-77-25 Final Rpt., JHRP-77-26 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, ATRI, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM