FUTURE TRANSIT BUS DESIGNS
This paper describes recent trends in transit bus design in the United States and Western Europe. It discusses the basic legal, regulatory, and operational constraints that historically have guided the design of full-size transit buses specifically addressing the implications of the constraint that fare payment must occur on-board the transit bus and be monitored by the driver. Future bus design concepts are presented which demonstrate the improvements that would be possible in service characteristics if this constraint were removed. The material presented is based in part upon research conducted for the Urban Mass Transportation Administration on the impact of fare collection on transit bus design.
- This paper was presented at the SAE Meeting, Detroit, Michigan, February 27-March 3, 1978.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Daniels, C J
- Holcombe, H J
- Mateyka, J A
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transit; Buses; City planning; Constraints; Design; Fare collection; Regulations; Transportation; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity)
- Subject Areas: Design; Law; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General); Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00178832
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 780058 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 27 1981 12:00AM