EQUITY OF TRANSIT SERVICE: VOLUMES I AND II
Recipients of grants from the Urban Mass Transportation Administration (UMTA) are required to comply with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended. The purpose of this research project, conducted for UMTA's Office of Civil Rights, was to develop a set of guidelines for UMTA grant recipients to use in applying for certification of compliance with Title VI. This study presents guidelines for grant recipients to use in submitting proof of compliance with Title VI, and it provides standards for Office of Civil Rights' reviewers to apply to the material submitted to make a determination of compliance. The guidelines and standards were developed after field surveys and pilot testing. This study consists of two volumes. Volume I contains an Executive Summary and Guidelines for Applicants. Volume I summarizes the project, that is, it summarizes the history, scope, and findings of research conducted on the subject of equity in transit service during the period from September 1975 to January 1977. Guidelines in Volume I are to be used by urbanized areas applying for annual certification of compliance with Title VI. There are four sections to the guidelines with instructions preceding each section. Volume II, a separate report, gives detailed information on the field studies and their results. Volume II presents the rationale for each data item requested and compares the guidelines with the previously requested material (Exhibit N). Review standards are also in Volume II. The Appendixes in Volume II contain a detailed discussion of the field tests and a listing of the 5 cities visited as well as the persons contacted during the field visits.
- This report was sponsored by DOT, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Rouse (WV) Associates, Limited820 Davis Street
Evanston, IL United States 60201
- Miller, D R
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 124 p.
- TRT Terms: Equity (Justice); Grant aid; Guidelines; Public transit; Standards; Surveys; Urban areas
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Law; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00178772
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-09-9004-78-1Final Rpt., UMTA-IT-09-9004-78-2
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-50029
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 14 1981 12:00AM