ESTIMATING LATERAL FLANGE BENDING IN CURVED PLATE GIRDERS
Experimental and analytical data from two small-scale models are used to develop an approximate procedure for estimating lateral flange bending moments in uniformly loaded simple-span, horizontally curved plate girders. The results show that the maximum lateral flange bending moment can be conservatively estimated as 1/12 of the lateral component of the flange force due to normal bending, multiplied by the diaphragm spacing squared.
- Sponsored by and prepared in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Albany, NY USA 12232
- Kissane, R J
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Bending moments; Bridge design; Bridges; Curves (Geometry); Flanges; Girders; Plates (Engineering); Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Horizontal curvature
- Old TRIS Terms: Curved plate
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00178771
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-NY-78-RR 60,, FCP 45G3-252
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 14 2003 12:00AM