IMPROVED PERIMETER COLLISION AVOIDANCE SYSTEM
Describes simplified automatic collision avoidance system that is readily adapted to any marine radar. The system employs a variable range gate. The parameters of the gate are displayed on the radar indicator as rings of a sector. The parameters of sector are adjustable for various cruising conditions. A radar echo which meets certain criteria of signal amplitude, echo width and persistency, will cause an audio/visual warning. In the more sophisticated application, the unit displays the range and relative bearing on a digital display. Slave Audio/Visual Digital Display Units may be located at remote locations from the Radar Indicator, providing an additional measure of safety. The device serves also as a navigational aid. In the manual mode, the unit provides the functions of a Digital Variable Range Marker and Digital Electronic Cursor. Simplified applications are available for small craft that are fitted with radar. The advantages of the system are its simplicity and low cost, while at the same time providing a positive warning against radar echoes that may pose a collision threat.
- Presented at RTCM Assembly Meeting, April 18-21, 1977, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services/Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC USA 20554
- Anderson, L F
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Alarm systems; Collision avoidance systems; Digital computers; Doppler radar; Information processing; Navigation radar; Radar; Radar devices; Radar displays; Radar tracking
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic radar plotting; Digital systems; Radar echoes
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00178707
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Report/Paper Numbers: V4, Pap 107-77/DO-99
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM