IN-SERVICE PERFORMANCE OF STRUCTURAL DETAILS
This report includes the results of a structural detail survey of twelve families of approximately fifty different ships. Seven ship types were surveyed to determine whether or not predicted failures actually occurred. The families are beam brackets, tripping brackets, non-tight collars, tight collars, gunwale connections, knife edge crossings, miscellaneous cutouts, clearance cuts, deck cutouts, stanchion ends, stiffner ends, and panel stiffeners. Fifty-six groups evolved with a total of 553 observed variations in structural configuration. The data are synthesized by family groups. During the survey 490,210 details with 3,307 failures were observed. Eighty-two percent of the failures were in the cargo space and were predominately located in structure adjacent to the side shell. The remaining 18% were distributed, 10% forward and 8% aft of the cargo spaces. Feedback data of this type should be invaluable to design and repair offices. It depicts, with sketches and photographs, the variations of structural configurations and tabulates all of the data collected during the survey. As an aid to engineers and designers, failure causes such as design, fabrication, maintenance and operation are postulated. Systematic performance studies of this type should be conducted in all areas of ship construction.
- This document was sponsored by the Naval Sea Systems Command. It is a Final Technical Report on Project SR-1232, "Structural Details Failure Survey".
Newport News Shipbuilding4101 Washington Avenue
Newport News, VA USA 23607
- Jordan, C R
- Cochran, C S
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 201 p.
- TRT Terms: Brackets; Buckling; Defects; Design; Failure; Reports; Shipbuilding; Ships; Shipyards; Structural design; Structural mechanics; Surveys; Vehicle maintenance; Welds
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cutouts; Ship maintenance; Structural failures; Weld defects
- Old TRIS Terms: Bracket design; Failure mode; Shipyard survey; Survey reports
- Subject Areas: Design; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00178693
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-272 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00024-76-C-4362
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM