A TECHNIQUE FOR EVALUATING TRACK CONDITION USING RAILCAR VIBRATIONS
A technique for evaluating rail track roughness and irregularities using vibration measurements in the railcar is discussed. The technique has been applied to a demonstration train route now operated under DOT contract and has been used in establishing priority for track maintenance. Specific attention is placed on the portable, low-frequency, low-amplitude, acceleration measuring/recording system. The data reduction and computer programs are described. Sample vibration measurements are given and the rating system is described. The project was a joint DOT-NASA effort. (Author)
- Presented at the AIAA/ASME Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference (12th), Anaheim, California. 19-21 April 1971.
National Aeronautics and Space AdministrationLangley Research Center
Hampton, VA USA 23681
- Clevenson, S A
- Ullman, K B
- Publication Date: 1971-4
- Pagination: 7 p.
- Subject Areas: Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00039252
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 24 1973 12:00AM