GEARING FOR MEDIUM-SPEED DIESEL MARINE PROPULSION SYSTEMS
The paper deals with the present trend to third-generation medium-speed engines of 10000-20000 hp, and the ways to produce suitable gearing, usually by scaling up or down existing designs and production facilities. The dangers of not using specialized designs are reviewed, and environmental considerations are discussed in terms of gearing connection at various points. Notes on power take-off and the rotating parts of the gearbox are outlined.
- Presented at the Europort 77, International Maritime Conference, Amsterdam, November 15-16, 1977.
Europort TentoonstellingenBZ, Waalhazen, Z.44
- Morssink, REC
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Diesel engines; Gears; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel design; Gear design; Geared diesel engines; Medium speed diesels
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00178385
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Research Institute of Norway
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 19 1978 12:00AM