DEVELOPMENT OF A CUSTOMIZED INVENTORY CONTROL PROGRAM FOR DISTRICT TRAFFIC ENGINEERING MATERIALS, FINAL REPORT AND EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
This research project has successfully designed, developed, and implemented an inventory control system for the traffic engineering materials in one of Ohio's twelve districts. In addition, materials and procedures were developed and provided to ODOT in a Systems Manual so that this system can be customized and implemented in the remaining eleven districts. The Systems Manual contains procedures and forms for use by district-level personnel; it also describes how the inventory control system can be customized for different districts. In the pilot application, procedures were designed for a storekeeper and a technican (Materials Controller) to maintain the system parameters. Forms developed included a Daily Materials Control Form, a Traffic Materials Inventory Shopping List, and a completely revised Inventory Stock Card. Establishing and updating inventory control points depends on computer processing. A Traffic Inventory Maintenance Report lists changes in control points on a monthly basis. A data input form, readily keypunched, enters updated information into the computer. In the pilot district, less than 5% of the items were stocked on a Material Requirements Planning System. Based on estimates of cost savings in the pilot district, installation of this system in Ohio's remaining eleven districts could deliver a total statewide net savings of over $200,000 per year. In addition, successful statewide implementation of the stock reduction recommendations would result in a one-time-only net savings of $324,000. /Author/
- Sponsored by Ohio DOT and prepared in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
RSEA--Professional Researchers2431 Skidmore Road, Transportation Systems Division
Greensburg, PA United States 15601
- Stemmler, R E
- Kapka, S J
- Caperelli, D A
- Delaney, G D
- Weimer, B J
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 75 p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Hyperbolic functions; Information processing; Materials adaptation and use; Traffic engineering
- Old TRIS Terms: Materials control
- Subject Areas: Construction; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00178328
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: OHIO-DOT-11-76 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Job No. 14301(0)
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM