AUTO RESTRICTED ZONES: PLANS FOR FIVE CITIES--BOSTON, BURLINGTON, MEMPHIS, PROVIDENCE AND TUCSON
This volume documents Auto Restricted Zone (ARZ) demonstration program designs for five selected cities: Boston, Mass; Burlington, Vt.; Providence, R.I.; Memphis, Tenn.; and Tucson, Ariz. Plans were drawn up in response to the specific characteristics of a given city. These plans illustrate the adaptability of the ARZ concept to different conditions and support the conclusion that city size is not critical to ARZ success and that complete prohibition of traffic is not the only option. The emphasis in these propsoals is primarily on enhancement of existing auto restricted areas through improvment of public transit and extension of pedestrian malls.
- Sponsored by DOT, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Voorhees (Alan M) and Associates, IncorporatedCambridge, MA United States
- Herald, W S
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 245 p.
- TRT Terms: Central business districts; City planning; Demonstration projects; Pedestrian areas; Pedestrian malls; Public transit
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00178321
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-VA-06-0042-78-3Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1057
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 19 1981 12:00AM