HIGH-SPEED CINERADIOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT FOR BIOSCIENCES RESEARCH: FINAL TECHNICAL LETTER REPORT ON NSF PROGRAM
Primary objectives of this project were: (1) to complete the development and construction of a high-speed x-ray cinematographic system for use in biomechanics research, (2) to determine its operational characteristics in application, and (3) to phase the system into on-going biomechancis research programs at the Highway Safety Research Institute. This system consists of a high-speed 16-mm motion picture camera which views a 2-inch diameter output phosphor of a high-gain four-stage, magnetically focused image intensifier tube, gated on and off synchronously with shutter pulses from the motion picture camera. A lens optically couples the input photocathode of the image intensifier tube to x-ray images produced on a fluorescent screen by a smoothed direct-current x-ray generator. The system is adaptable to a variety of experimental configurations because fluorescent screen size and type can be reliatively easily and inexpensively changed. High-speed x-ray cineradiographs at 1000 frames per second have been obtained of biological and non-biological materials during impact events. Image quality in terms of contrast and resolution has been found to be strongly dependent on judicious introduction of contrast media and targeting material in specimens under investigation. The primary objectives of this project have been successfully accomplished. /HSRI/
- Sponsored by the National Science Foundation, Engineering Division, Engineering Mechanics Section.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- Melvin, J W
- Bender, M
- Publication Date: 1979-2-10
- Features: Figures; Photos; References;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Biophysics; Cameras; High speed photography; X rays
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00178247
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-78-10 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: ENG 75-22768
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM