NOISE AND TRACTION CHARACTERISTICS OF RADIAL-PLY TRUCK TIRES
This project has established a data base of noise and traction characteristics for a sample of six radial-ply heavy truck tires. The tire sample, representing both "rib" and "lug" type trend patterns, was tested according to procedures similar to those specified in Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice J57, Sound Level of Highway Truck Tires, and in a variety of laboratory and over-the-road traction experiments. Measurements of cornering stiffness and both lateral and longitudinal traction limits indicate that, unlike bias-ply heavy truck tires, radial-ply truck tires cannot be generally classified into distinct performance categories according to tread type. Further, the radial-ply lug tire is found to exhibit a smaller increment in noise level over the radial rib than is seen for bias-ply lug and bias-ply rib tires. These data complement comparable data in the open literature for bias-ply tires. /HSRI/
- Sponsored by the Office of the Secretary of Transportation, Office of Noise Abatement.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- Ervin, R D
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Bias (Statistics); Databases; Radial ply tires; Sound level; Testing; Tires; Traction; Trucks
- Old TRIS Terms: Radial tires
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00178245
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-77-5 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OST-60157
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM