TRANSIENT SYSTEM OPTIMIZATION OF AN EXPERIMENTAL ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM OVER THE FEDERAL EMISSIONS DRIVING SCHEDULE
Transient System Optimization (TSO) is an iterative procedure which uses data measured during the actual federal fuel economy and emission tests, rather than a mathematical mode. The optimal control theory specifies a new improved control vector (A/F, SA, EGR, etc. ) for every half second throughout the tests. The improved control vector is correlated with the feedback control variables (e. g. , engine speed, load, temperature, etc. ) to form the improved feedback control functions. These new feedback control functions are employed during the next fuel economy and emission tests for the subsequent iteration. Unlike previous techniques, TSO deals with the engine-vehicle system during transient operation, formally including a driveability control constraint the cold-start portion of the emissions test, and the catalytic converter transient emission signature. The TSO procedure has been applied successfully to an experimental engine control structure operated over the federal cold-start emissions test. The driveability control constraint function defined in this paper was measured in real time during transient experiments. Evaluating this driveability function employing the optimal air-fuel ratio and spark advance control laws has shown the necessity of imposing driveability limits during the optimization.
- This paper was precsented at the SAE Meeting, Febuary 27-March 3, 1978.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Dohner, A R
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Control; Control systems; Feedback control; Fuel air mixtures; Fuel conservation; Fuel consumption; Iterative methods; Optimization; Performance; Pollutants; Systems; Testing; Transients; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Air fuel ratio
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00178114
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 780286 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 14 1978 12:00AM