IMPLEMENTATION FOR USE OF VARIABLE SPEED FRICTION TESTER AND SMALL WHEEL CIRCULAR TRACK WEAR AND POLISHING MACHINE FOR PAVEMENT SKID RESISTANCE, PARTS I, II, III
Included in this four part implementation work for the Small Wheel Circular Track Wear and Polishing Machine and the Variable Speed Friction Tests (VST) is a summary report, Part I; circular track plan and operating manual, Part II; VST operating instructions, Part III; and VST plans, Part IV. Parts I through III are completed at this time (Spring 1977), but Part IV will not be available until December 1977 as the prototype VST is being redesigned for ease of use and ease of construction in, a production model. Part I contains the objectives of the study, and the documentation of the highly successful field correlation between the VST and the ASTM Skid Trailer at 30, 40 and 50 mph test speeds. Also included are recommendations for additional study to complete translation of circular track results into predicted field performance of aggregates and mixture for pavements. Part II contains plans for construction of a circular track and operating instructions for use of the track. Part III contains operating instructions for the VST including the dead weight calibration method. Part IV, when completed, will contain the plans for construction of the VST. /Author/
- Sponsored by North Carolina State Highway Commission and by North Carolina Division of Federal Highway Administration.
North Carolina State University, RaleighHighway Research Program, P.O. Box 5993
Raleigh, NC United States 27607
- Mullen, W G
- Whitfield, J K
- Matlock, T L
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 138 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Circular test tracks; Friction; Mathematical models; Pavement performance; Pavements; Polishing (Aggregates); Skid resistance; Skidding; Speed; Testing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00177305
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: ERSD-110-76-2 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 29 2000 12:00AM