LOADS ON BOX CULVERTS UNDER HIGH EMBANKMENTS: ANALYSIS AND DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS
Pressure and design analyses of five reinforced concrete box culverts are presented. Three of the culverts were constructed with the imperfect trench. Measured pressures on the culverts are compared to pressures predicted by the theories of Marston, Spangler, and Costes. Also, comparisons are made between measured pressures and calculated design pressures using AASHTO's Standard Specifications for Highway Bridges, 1.2.2(A). It is noted that the imperfect trench is, apparently, effective in reducing pressures on the top slab. The AASHTO design formulas underestimated the pressure on the top slab of the culverts without the imperfect trench. /Author/
- Record URL:
- Prepared in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Frankfort, KY United States 40601
- Allen, D L
- Russ, R L
- Publication Date: 1978-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Box culverts; Bridge design; Bridges; Loads; Pressure; Reinforced concrete; Specifications; Structural design; Trenches
- Identifier Terms: American Association of State Highway Officials
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00177295
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Ky 72-68
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM