OPTICAL AUTOMATIC CAR IDENTIFICATION (OACI). READABILITY AND SCANNER PERFORMANCE
The results of the Optical Automatic Car Identification (OACI) study on readability and scanner performance conducted on the Chicago Railroad Terminal Information System (CRTIS) data which includes operation from February 1 to June 15, 1977 are presented. The main purpose of this study was to determine the scanner non-read and error-read contributions to overall OACI readability measurements, the use of the calibration train concept as a method of OACI network analysis, and possible network automatic checkout. The study attempts to separate the non-read and error-read components due to the scanner performance from other label factors which affect the readability measurements. The scanner performance contribution to non-read and error-reads was estimated on the basis of scanner readability differences observed by means of calibration trains. The calibration train concept is suggested as an effective tool to evaluate OACI scanner network performance. The present study complements the one conducted in 1975 by the Federal Railroad Administration (Final Report No. FRA/ORD-76/249, May 1976). Conclusions are presented.
- This is one of four reports which provides the final reports for the FRA OACI Improvement Effort. Consistent with the four interim reports (Report No. FRA/ORD-77/38), the other final reports (to be published) will cover the subjects of: Scanner System Performance and Cost Improvements (78/15.I); Optical Properties of Labels (78/15.III); System Alternatives Evaluation Model (78/15.IV).
Cambridge Systems Corporation545 Technology Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
- Ingrao, H C
- Thompson III, W I
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 221 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic car identification; Classification yards; Information systems; Labeling; Reliability; Yard operations
- Identifier Terms: Chicago Railroad Terminal Information System
- Old TRIS Terms: Yard and terminal information systems
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00176669
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/15.II
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-74292
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1978 12:00AM