TRI-MET AUTOMATED FARE BILLING SYSTEM
The fare collection technique studied in this report is that of automated billing, where information on each ride is recorded and a passenger is billed at the end of the month for the ride. The first use and successful operation of an automated billing system was in the Valley Transit District, serving the Naughatuck Vally, Connecticut. Hence, UMTA has decided that a similar system should be implemented in conjunction with a demonstration of special transportation services for the elderly and handicapped in a medium sized city. Portland, Oregon, was the site chosen for this demonstration; the Tri-County Metropolitan Transportation District of Oregon (TRI-MET) is the operating agency. This report describes the TRI-MET Automated Billing System that has been successfully introduced into service in Portland, TRI-MET is using an automated billing system as part of its Special Needs Transportation Project (The Lift) serving the elderly and handicapped. Users of the service are issued an encoded credit-card-sized plastic bus pass. Each time a passenger rides the bus the card is inserted in an on-board car reader unit which records the code and other appropriate data on a tape cassette. At the end of each day's operation, data on the cassettes are transmitted to a computer center. Itemized billings and statistical reports are produced monthly. The authors state that the TRI-MET Credit Card Fare Collection is a major step forward in the introduction of cashless systems. /UMTA/
- Sponsored by DOT, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Mitre CorporationMetrek Division, 1820 Dolley Madison Boulveard
McLean, VA USA 22102
- Strickland, L R
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: 49 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Automation; Billing; Credit; Demonstration projects; Fare collection; Information processing; Physically handicapped persons; Statistical analysis; Urban transportation
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00176581
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-OR-06-0004-78-1
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 19 1981 12:00AM