ESTABLISHING INNOVATIVE TAXICAB SERVICES: A GUIDEBOOK
Similar to the dilemma facing transit operators, taxi operators face rising costs and disappearing profits. This report reflects the view that recent changes within both the taxi and transit industries have made transportation planners aware of the potential of taxis for alleviating urban mobility problems and taxi operations aware of the necessity of being a part of the local transportation planning process. This document is intended to serve as a guidebook for local planners and public officials who wish to integrate taxi services into the mix of local transit services. It attempts to outline how to establish innovative taxi operated paratransit services. The focus is on the problems which face local transportation/public officials rather than taxi operators. Both conventional and innovative taxicab services in the United States are examined. Based upon this examination, guidelines are developed for establishing similar innovative services elsewhere. This report is organized around four topics: Background information of the taxi industry (focus is on economics of taxi operations); Description of taxi service innovations; Practical details of implementing innovative taxi services (focus is on contracts between public agencies and private operators); and Evaluation of innovative paratransit services.
- Sponsored by DOT, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
University of North Carolina, CharlotteDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
9201 University City Boulevard
Charlotte, NC USA 28223-0001
- Gilbert, G
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Pagination: 69 p.
- TRT Terms: Coordination; Guidelines; Implementation; Manuals; Paratransit services; Public transit; Taxicabs; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Integrated transportation systems
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Research;
- Accession Number: 00176557
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-NC-11-0005-78-1Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1981 12:00AM