BALTIMORE REGION RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEM. PHASE 1 REPORT
Significant transportation planning for Baltimore was begun in the early 1960's with an analysis of the long-range and specific urban transportation requirements for the region. The T9-6 (September 1971-December 1973) is one more step in the continuing planning and design process leading to the construction and operaiton of a public rapid transit system in the Baltimore region; it is administered and supervised by the Mass Transit Administration. This report presents a review of the work completed and the results achieved by the T9-6 Baltimore Rapid Transit project, and summarizes the rapid transit development program to date, as well as the current and future program leading to Phase I implementation. The basic purpose of the T9-6 project was to provide preliminary engineering designs, design criteria and guide specifications for the Phase I system; and to develop additional studies and analyses relative to cost, schedule, and other technical aspects to serve as a basis for the current Phase I Capital Grant Project. The Phase I system includes the Northwest and South lines (about 28 miles of line structure and 20 stations). The two Phase I lines are completely grade separated along routes extending northwest and south from Charles Center, and will provide frequent, high-speed, automated rapid transit service utilizing modern steel wheel vehicles traveling on steel rails. The two Phase I lines and corresponding stations are illustrated herein. Final design is not included in this report. It is anticipated that final design for the Phase I system will proceed in subsequent work programs.
- Prepared for Maryland DOT, Mass Transit Administration and sponsored by DOT, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Kaiser Engineers201 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD United States 21201
- Publication Date: 1974-1
- Pagination: 131 p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Design; Engineering; Rapid transit; Scheduling; Specifications; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00176547
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MD-09-0006-78-1
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 29 1982 12:00AM