AGT GUIDEWAY AND STATION TECHNOLOGY. VOLUME 2: WEATHER PROTECTION REVIEW
This report is one of a series of reports associated with the AGT Guideway and Station Technology Project. The objective of the project is to develop guideway, station, and weather protection concepts which will reduce the cost and implementation time associated with AGT systems. Only the review portion of the weather protection area is addressed in this report. The concept development, analysis, and testing portions are the subject of a separate volume. This report presents a review of the experiences of AGT systems under severe winter weather conditions as well as a review of the experiences of non-AGT transportation modes (railroads, airports, and highways). The review material herein is a result of a literature search and interviews with personnel at operating AGT systems and manufacturers. This report focuses on bottom-supported, rubber-tired vehicle AGT systems (the only type of AGT system currently operating in a winter environment). Specifically, this means that the survey of existing AGT weather-related operating experiences focuses on the Ford Fairlane system, the Boeing Morgantown system, the Westinghouse test tracks, the Vought Airtrans system, and the Bendix Metropolitan Toronto Zoo system. Three areas of winter weather impact on AGT systems are presented: traction, power collection, and switching. Conclusions derived from this review and recommended areas for further investigation for AGT application are described.
- Prepared in cooperation with ABAM Engineers, Inc., Tacoma, Wash.
De Leuw, Cather and Company165 West Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL United States 60601
ABAM Engineers, Incorporated33301 Ninth Avenue, South
Federal Way, WA United States 98003-6395
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Stevens, R D
- Nicarico, T J
- McGean, T J
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 146 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Automated guideway transit; Automatic control; Cold weather; Deicing; Ground vehicles; Guideways; Ice; Operations; Passenger terminals; Snow; Snow removal; Structural design; Tires; Traction; Transportation planning; Urban transportation; Vehicles
- Identifier Terms: Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport
- Geographic Terms: Morgantown (West Virginia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Guideway design; Mechanical guides; Passenger station design
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Aviation; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00176305
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0152-79-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-70066
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM