SUBSIDIZED TAXI PROGRAMS FOR ELDERLY AND HANDICAPPED PERSONS IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA
The report examines subsidized taxi systems serving elderly and handicapped persons in six locations in the San Francisco Bay Area. The systems studied are San Leandro, Santa Clara County, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Lafayette, and Fremont. These systems are designed to deliver taxi service at a reasonable cost to target groups residing within the program areas. The objectives of the report are: (1) to describe six programs which deliver transportation service to elderly and handicapped persons utilizing the subsidized taxi mode; (2) to identify the essential similarities and differences among these programs; (3) to illustrate, in qualitative terms, the nature of the costs, efficiencies and impacts on taxi operators, subsidizers, and users of the six approaches; and (4) to interpret this information and identify those findings which appear to be transferable to planners in other localities. The subsidized taxi programs are successfully delivering transportation service to elderly and handicapped residents in all locations as evidenced by rising client enrollment and ridership volumes. Overall, response to the programs has been and continues to be extremely favorable.
Crain and Associates120 Santo Margarita Avenue
Menlo Park, CA United States 94025
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Bloomfield, P
- Flynn, S
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Analysis; Automobiles; Costs; Economic efficiency; Grant aid; Level of service; Local government; Operations; Persons with disabilities; Revenues; Subsidies; Taxicabs; Urban transportation; Utilization
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Efficiency; Services
- Geographic Terms: California; San Francisco Bay
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Research; Society;
- Accession Number: 00176298
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0049-77-9Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1081
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 19 1981 12:00AM