ASAP P.I. AND E. COUNTERMEASURE: SUMMARY OF ACTIVITIES AND EFFECTIVENESS
The report summarizes the activities and effectiveness of the Public Information and Education (P.I. and E.) countermeasures which were conducted as part of the Alcohol Safety Action Projects (ASAP). Evidence presented indicates ASAP P.I. and E. countermeasure had impact upon public attitudes, knowledge and, to some extent, behavior associated with drinking driving problems. Early evaluations of P.I. and E. activities (1971-1974) showed that is campaigns specifically addressed a particular issue they were more likely to produce change on that issue. The ASAP telephone surveys conducted in 1975 and 1976 showed that public awareness of the drunk driving has reached a high stable level, and public knowledge about alcohol increased significantly. People's ability to recognize drunk driving situations, their belief in personal responsibility for preventing drunk driving, and their discussion of the problem were all positively influenced by exposure to advertising. Intervention behavior appeared less easily influenced by advertising. Finally, special evaluations of local P.I. and E. activities also yielded favorable results.
Teknekron, Incorporated1010 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Croke, J A
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 114 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcoholic beverages; Attitudes; Behavior; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Education; Human factors engineering; Information management; Information organization; Prevention; Project management; Publicity; Safety; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00176297
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-288 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NHTSA-6-A254
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM