FREIGHT CAR CLEARINGHOUSE EXPERIMENT: EVALUATION OF THE EXPANDED CLEARINGHOUSE

The Freight Car Clearinghouse Experiment, which started in September 1974 as a cooperative undertaking of three railroads to improve freight car utilization, was expanded in the summer and fall of 1976 to include ten railroads. With some changes in membership the Clearinghouse is still in operation today. The report examines the benefits accruing to the member railroads as a result of the expansion. The report estimates that: (1) empty interchange received cars decreased by nearly a quarter; (2) loaded car-miles increased; and (3) the monetary savings amounted to over 30 million dollars per year spread over all the member railroads.

  • Supplemental Notes:
    • See also report dated February 77, PB-265 206.
  • Corporate Authors:

    Association of American Railroads

    Freight Car Utilization Program, 1920 L Street, NW
    Washington, DC  USA  20036

    Federal Railroad Administration

    Office of Policy and Program Development, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
    Washington, DC  USA  20590
  • Authors:
    • DINGLE, A D
  • Publication Date: 1978-1

Media Info

  • Pagination: 114 p.

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00176255
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
  • Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OPPD-78-11 Final Rpt., AAR-R-293
  • Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-65146
  • Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
  • Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM