FOREIGN REGULATORY EXPERIMENTS: IMPLICATIONS FOR U.S. AN ANALYSIS AND EVALUATION OF FOREIGN TRANSPORTATION REGULATORY EXPERIENCE
The report studies industrialized countries, which have either adhered to concepts of regulation differing from those in the U.S. in the past or have transportation regulation. The report evaluates the effect on the public and on carriers-in-competition, particularly railroads, of varying regulatory policies. The countries chosen for study were: Australia, Canada, France, the German Republic, Great Britain, and Japan plus an economic grouping of countries (The European Common Market). These were specifically selected to be comparable to the U.S. in terms of urbanization, industrialization, general standard of living, principles of representative government and general acceptance of private enterprise and historical record of regulation significantly different than that of the U.S., and/or, have significantly modernized regulatory ends and means evolving competitive conditions. Each chapter report covering a single country or economic group includes, a brief historical introduction, a discussion of the development and present status of regulation (by mode), as well as the ideological, political and economic factors motivating trends in regulatory policy.
- Prepared by Whitten (Herbert O.) and Associates, Washington, D.C.
Nelson (James R)Amherst, MA USA 01002
Whitten (Herbert O) and AssociatesAnnandale, VA USA
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Nelson, J R
- WHITTEN, H O
- Baldwin, J R
- Boyer, K D
- Keeler, T E
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 552 p.
- TRT Terms: Common carriers; Competition; Economic factors; Foreign; Freight transportation; Highway transportation; Inland waterways; Intercity transportation; Intermodal transportation; Motor carriers; Policy; Railroads; Regulations; Tariffs; Transportation modes; Transportation policy; Trucks; Water transportation
- Geographic Terms: Australia; Canada; Europe; France; Germany; Japan; United Kingdom; United States; Western Europe
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Government policies; Government regulations; National transportation policies
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Law; Marine Transportation; Motor Carriers; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00176243
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OPPD-77/24 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-T5150
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM