PSYCHOPHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF AGING - DEVELOPING A FUNCTIONAL AGE INDEX FOR PILOTS. II TAXONOMY OF PSYCHOLOGICAL FACTORS
One of the major objectives of gerontological aviation psychology is to determine the psychological variables, functions, abilities, skills, and factors that underlie, constitute or are associated with pilot performance and proficiency. They must be identified, analyzed, and measured if functional age is to be substituted for chronological age as a criterion for terminating an aviator's career. The approaches use consist of (a) the analysis of successful pilot behavior as displayed under simulated and operational conditions, (b) the analysis of unsuccessful pilot behavior (pilot error) as related to aircraft accidents, (c) the evaluation of pilot performance during the selection and training procedures as reported in the literature. By means of factor analyses, logical deductions, and clinical interpretations of the results obtained by various investigators, 14 factors are identified and described, namely (1) perception, (2) attention, (3) reaction, (4) orientation, (5) sensorimotor, (6) stamina, (7) cognition/mentation, (8) interpersonal relations, (9) decision making, (10) experience, (11) learning, (12) personality, (13) mechanical ability, and (14) motivation.
- Record URL:
- See also AD-A040 322.
Washington, DC USA 20591
- Gerathewohl, S J
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Pagination: 76 p.
- TRT Terms: Aging (Biology); Air pilots; Airline pilots; Aviation medicine; Civil aviation; Guides to the literature; Literature reviews; Medical examinations and tests; Performance tests; Personnel performance; Psychological aspects; Psychological tests; Ratios
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criteria; Pilot performance; Psychophysiology
- Old TRIS Terms: Biostatistics; Indexes ratios
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Environment; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00176223
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-AM-78-16
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 19 1978 12:00AM