AN INVESTIGATION OF THE PARAMETERS INFLUENCING BOND BEHAVIOR WITH A VIEW TOWARDS ESTABLISHING DESIGN CRITERIA. VOLUME I - MAIN REPORT
Tests of one hundred and forty seven, two and three bar bond specimens are reported. These specimens represent the completion of WVDOH-RCRC Project 46. The entire study has used the specially designed W.Va. University bond testing apparatus. The data are discussed in terms of the strength of the materials used, the specimen geometry and the type and quantity of web reinforcement. The lower bound equations for predicting the limiting bond stress and the development length required are presented in terms of bar diameter (which is the ratio of the bar cross-sectional to surface area), bar strength, concrete strength, web reinforcement and the cover and spacing of the bars. The W.V.U. recommended design equation for development length includes a consideration of dowel force and is compared to the University of Texas-Austin's recommended equation. The report is accompanied by figures and a full set of bondslip curves for all the specimens tested.
- Prepared by West Virginia Univ., Morgantown. Dept. of Civil Engineering. Sponsored in part by American Society of Civil Engineers, New York. Reinforced Concrete Research Council. See also Volume 2, PB-279 513 and PB-239 632.
West Virginia Department of Highways1900 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston, WV USA 25305
West Virginia University, MorgantownMorgantown, WV USA 26506
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Kemp, E L
- Wilhelm, W J
- Chen, N J
- Alke, R B
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 244 p.
- TRT Terms: Bond strength (Materials); Bonding; Concrete curing; Design; Fabrication; Loads; Reinforced concrete; Reinforcing steel; Stresses
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Bond stress
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00176030
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WVDOH-46-2-VOL-1, FHWA/WV-77/6-VOL-1
- Files: NTIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 19 2002 12:00AM