ALTERNATIVE SURVEILLANCE CONCEPTS AND METHODS FOR FREEWAY INCIDENT MANAGEMENT. VOLUME 4. GUIDELINES FOR SPECIFIC LOW-COST ALTERNATIVES
Experience has shown that at traffic incident scenes, safety and operations can be improved if good on-site traffic management is used. Motorists lose about 750 million vehicle-hours per year while waiting for incidents to be removed, and over 2 million accidents per year occur on urban freeways alone. The research study identifies low-cost incident management systems for responding to freeway disturbances. Emphasis is placed on the development of pre-planned response techniques, candidate jurisdictional agreements, traffic operational procedures for incident sites, and overall improvement of freeway incident management. This volume of the report has been developed to give assistance to police, highway, and traffic engineering planners in defining and establishing one or more low cost techniques (alternatives) by providing guidelines for their implementation.
- See also Volume 2, PB-279 497 and Volume 5, PB-279 499.
Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Company1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Urbanek, G L
- Owen, J R
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 230 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Closed circuit television; Detection and identification; Detectors; Freeways; Freeze thaw durability; Highway operations; Highway planning; Highway traffic control; Police; Police traffic services; Radio; Surveillance; Traffic; Traffic control; Traffic crashes; Traffic engineering; Traffic safety; Traffic surveillance; Transportation operations; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Traffic planning
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00176023
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77- 61 Final Rpt., FCP 31C2-512
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8813
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 19 1978 12:00AM