AUTOMATION OF THE SCHONFELD METHOD OF HIGHWAY SURFACE TEXTURE CODE ASSIGNMENT. VOLUME V. SPECIFICATION OF A SINGLE-LINE INSTRUMENT FOR MEASURING HIGHWAY SURFACE TEXTURE
The Phase III effort of this research project was directed toward the specification of a practical single-line instrument for the real-time measurement of surface texture from aboard a moving vehicle. Existing instrument concepts were investigated and evaluated, but proved to be inadequate for use aboard a vehicle moving at typical highway speeds. A new instrument concept was devised that showed the potential for use in the moving vehicle application. This concept involves projection of a very short duration, slit of light onto the road surface and detection of the resultant illuminated profile of surface texture with a sensitive vidicon television camera. Analytical and experimental evaluation of this concept verified its feasibility. The preliminary design, performance specifications, and implementation plan for a prototype of this instrument were prepared.
- See also Volume 4 dated Apr 76, PB-259 553.
ENSCO, Incorporated5400 Port Royal Road
Springfield, VA United States 22151
Maryland State Highway Administration2323 West Joppa Road
Brooklandville, MD United States 21022
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Cantor, C
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Coding systems; Design; Measuring instruments; Pavements; Performance tests; Recording; Roughness; Skid resistance; Specifications; Television cameras; Texture
- Uncontrolled Terms: Profiles
- Old TRIS Terms: Coding; Digital recording; Vidicons
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00175997
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/MD/R-76/8E
- Files: NTIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 19 2002 12:00AM