SULPHUR EXTENDED ASPHALT (SEA): SULPHUR/ASPHALT MIXTURE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION DETAILS - LUFKIN FIELD TRIALS
This report deals with pavement mixture designs and construction operation of field trials on U.S. 69 north of Lufkin, Texas. The binders used in this field trial consisted of pure asphalt cement for the control sections and 30/70 weight percent of a sulphur/asphalt emulsion as the test binder. All elements of the structural (thickness) design were produced in pairs for comparison purposes with the exception of two thinner sections selected to possibly show distress in two or three years. Otherwise, the thickness designs used in the test sections were those specified by the State Department of Highways and Public Transportation in the conventional section of this highway. Preconstruction laboratory evaluations of mixture properties and field laboratory control measurements are included as a part of this report.
- See also PB-279 199. Sponsored in part by Sulphur Inst., Washington, D.C., Societe Nationale des Petroles d'Aquitaine, Paris (France) and Texas State Dept. of Highways and Public Transportation, Austin.
Arlington, TX USA 76011
Sulphur Institute1725 K Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20006
Texas State Department of Highways & Public Transp11th and Brazos Streets
Austin, TX USA 78701
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Gallaway, B M
- Saylak, D
- Publication Date: 1976-1
- Pagination: 73 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Air pollution; Binders; Compressive strength; Design; Field tests; Flexible pavements; Formulations; Hydrogen sulfide; Laboratory tests; Physical properties; Sulfur; Viscosity
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00175994
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TS-78/203
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8608-1
- Files: NTIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 19 2003 12:00AM