WIND SHEAR MODELING FOR AIRCRAFT HAZARD DEFINITION
Wind shear at low altitudes in the terminal area has been identified as hazardous to aircraft operations. Mathematical models of wind profiles have been developed for use in fast time and manned flight simulation studies aimed at defining and eliminating these wind shear hazards. A set of wind profiles and associated wind shear characteristics for stable and neutral boundary layers, thunderstorms, and frontal winds potentially encounterable by aircraft in the terminal area are given. Wind shear is defined as significant changes in wind speed and/or direction up to 500 m above the ground that may adversely affect the approach, landing, or takeoff of an aircraft. Engineering models of wind shear for direct hazard analysis are presented in mathematical formulae, graphs, tables, and computer lookup routines. The wind profile data utilized to establish the models is described as to location, how obtained, time of observation and number of data points up to 500 m. These models provide the three components of wind speed in two-dimensional vertical planes, i.e., as functions of the vertical and horizontal coordinates. Statistical data is provided, where available, as to the risk of exceeding the wind shear environment predicted by the models.
- Prepared in cooperation with FWG Assoc., Inc., Tullahoma, TN., Contract NAS8-32217.
National Aeronautics and Space AdministrationMarshall Space Flight Center
Huntsville, AL USA 35812
- Frost, W
- Camp, D W
- Wang, S T
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Pagination: 257 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Airport terminals; Altitude; Aviation safety; Computer programs; Freight terminals; Fronts (Meteorology); Glide path systems; Gusts; Hazards; Intermodal terminals; Landing; Mathematical models; Simulation; Takeoff; Thunderstorms; Velocity; Wind; Wind shear
- Uncontrolled Terms: Low altitude
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft hazards; Aircraft landings; Takeoff and landing; Wind velocity
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Freight Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00175984
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-78-3 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA76-WA1-620
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 19 1978 12:00AM