FORECAST AND ANALYSIS OF INTERNATIONAL AIR TRAFFIC IN RELATION TO TRANSOCEANIC COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENTS
This summary report presents 1975 estimates and forecasts through 1995 of international air traffic and peak Instantaneous Airborne Counts (IACs) developed by SRI International for use by the Federal Aviation Administration in relation to transoceanic communication requirements. Data are presented here for the Atlantic Ocean basin area lying between 10 east and 80 west longitude and including South American and African continental traffic likely to enter a satellite ATC environment; for the Pacific Ocean basin running from 120 east to 120 east longitude; and the Indian Ocean basin running from 120 east to 60 east longitude. For the Atlantic basin peak basin IACs are forecast to double by 1995 under a low estimate and quadruple under the high estimate. For the Pacific basin they are forecast to more than double under the low estimate and more than quadruple under a high estimate, and for the Indian basin they are forecast to increase over 1 1/2 times under the low estimate and quintuple under the high estimate. The report describes the future travel demand, institutional and technological market environments in which air traffic and aircraft movements will be generated, models developed for forecasting air travel, aircraft movements, and counting IACs and how these models are used to develop the peak IACs. (Author)
- See also Rept. nos. FAA-RD-77-131-1, AD-A052 804, FAA-RD-77-131-2, AD-A052 808, and FAA-RD-76-15.
SRI International1611 North Kent Street
Arlington, VA United States 22209
- Pozdena, R
- Gorham, J
- Gross, D
- Yee, D
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: 146 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic; Air traffic control; Automatic tracking; Communications traffic; Estimates; Forecasting; International; International trade; Mathematical models; Measurement; Specifications
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models; Requirement
- Old TRIS Terms: Oceanic air traffic
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00175981
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-77-131 Summ Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA75WA-3574-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 19 1978 12:00AM