TRANSPORTATION SERVICES FOR THE DISABLED AND ELDERLY
Multipurpose transportation systems for the developmentally disabled and the elderly are the focus of this study sponsored by the New Jersey Developmental Disabilities Council. Trends in the evolving transportation dilemma from 1950 to 1974 are examined on a national scale and in the State of New Jersey, and supporting data are tabulated. Projections are made of employment in New Jersey through 1980 and of the U.S. population through 1990. Transportation problems of the disabled and the elderly are considered, with particular attention given to travel barriers and the provision of transportation services. Kinds of information which may be useful in determining the demand for specialized transportation services are extrapolation from census materials or other secondary sources, information gathered from agencies about their clients, and surveys of disabled and elderly individuals. A basic framework for the design of a transportation system is presented, and it is suggested that multipurpose personalized systems are preferable. It is noted that obtaining funding for special-purpose transportation systems is difficult and that there are also legal and institutional issues to be taken into account. Transportation case studies are appended along with chapter notes and a bibliography.
- Available from Center for Urban Policy Research, Rutgers University, Building 4051 - Kilmer Campus, New Brunswick, NJ 08903.
New Jersey Developmental Disabilities CouncilTrenton, NJ United States
- Brail, R K
- Hughes, J W
- Arthur, C A
- Publication Date: 1976
- Pagination: 231 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Census; Communities; Demographics; Employment; Environment; Health; Needs assessment; Personal rapid transit; Persons with disabilities; Population; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation systems
- Geographic Terms: New Jersey; United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Environmental health
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00175915
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 28 1981 12:00AM