ORGANIZATION ANALYSIS OF THE REGULATORY PROCESS: A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THE DECISION MAKING PROCESS IN THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION AND THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
The report is an analysis of regulatory commissions and how they fit their regulatory policies into the general framework of national economic policy. The study is directed toward answering these questions: (1) Do the independent agencies function in a way which obscures policy questions in favor of ad hoc, incremental judgments; (2) Do executive branch regulatory agencies function by taking a comprehensive, analytic overview of policy alternatives; (3) Do location and structure cause behavioral consequences for an agency; (4) Are there different regulatory functions for independent and regulatory agencies; (5) Is transitional equity and technological change affected by agency location and structure; and (6) Does the concern with location and structure fail to consider the way in which mission affects form and its consequences. The report includes an overview of regulatory activities of the EPA and FCC and four case studies: (1) FCC's specialized common carrier decision; (2) FCC's development of 1972 cable TV rules; (3) EPA's automobile emission standard suspension decision; and (4) EPA's development of effluent guidelines for the beet sugar processing industry. Also included is an analysis and comparison; and an appendix which is a memorandum of law.
Washington, DC USA 20037
National Science FoundationResearch Applied to National Needs
Washington, DC USA 20550
- Mahony, S
- Greene, S
- Hargrove, E C
- Publication Date: 1977-11-30
- Pagination: 298 p.
- TRT Terms: Common carriers; Decision making; Environmental protection; Exhaust gases; Federal government; Food industry; Guidelines; Location; Motor vehicles; Organizations; Policy; Policy making; Pollution control; Public policy; Refuse; Regulations; Standards; Structures; Technology; Television
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Federal Communications Commission
- Old TRIS Terms: Communication cables; Federal policies; Government policies; Government regulations
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Environment; Highways; Law; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00175734
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSF/RA-770411 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NSF-APR75-16718
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 28 1978 12:00AM